Be part of our exciting green revolution story. We provide you with full training and with our training, driving a bus is easier than you think! "The trainers made it so easy and passing my test was a fantastic feeling too,” says Sarah.
Being a bus driver for Newport Bus is more than just driving a bus. It’s the opportunity to work in a varied environment, to meet new people and to bring a vital service to the city of Newport and the surrounding areas. There’s never been a better time to join our team.
What we offer:
- Permanent employment
- Free bus travel across our network and other operators for you, your partner and eligible children (a saving of £350 for an annual
child pass for example)
- Free staff bus (pick-up and drop off to/from home - not limited to Newport area)
- Free driver uniform (with associated tax benefit)
- Company pension scheme with added benefits
- Discounted gym membership and others
- Up to 28 days holidays (including bank holidays) with five extra days after 5 years' service
- Opportunities for career progression
What we are looking for:
If you are a dependable person, helpful and get on well with people, a safe driver and calm under pressure, we would like to hear from you. The main duties include:
- Transporting passengers safely, whilst providing professional customer care to each passenger;
- Delivering a friendly welcome on board, answering queries and serving a diverse range of passengers (training provided)
- Issuing tickets and receiving payment of the exact fares in line with the pricing structure (No cash handling required)
- Ensuring the vehicle is always driven safely and to high standards, respectful of other road users
- Ensuring you check your vehicle before commencing service and report any defects
- Following route and timing instructions
- Portraying a high-quality image of the company to passengers, other road users and the public
The vacancies are for full time and part-time drivers to operate the local bus services around the City of Newport as well as contracted
work, such as school buses, day trips and private hire. To apply using the form at the bottom of the page.
- 1-year full UK driving licence (with no more than 6 points)
- Happy to work a variety of shifts including early mornings, late nights and weekends
If you are not a trained bus driver, we will provide full training towards Passenger Carrying Vehicle license (PCV) and Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC). We operate a funded training scheme for all new drivers. We also accept funding via the Welsh Government ReAct Programme. Read Sarah's story here.
Applicants with a PCV licence and a valid CPC are welcome. We provide on-going free in-house training for you to maintain your Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC).
For drivers with a PCV licence and DCPC certificate, the salary starts at our standard driver rate of £9.65 p/h plus a targeted
bonus of £10p/w paid 4 weekly (6-month probation will apply).
For drivers without a PCV licence, the salary starts at £9.15 p/h during training, then increases to £9.65 after at least 3 months of completed in-service duties (can be extended to our standard 6-month probation period), plus a targeted bonus of £10/week paid 4 weekly.
Apply using our online application form below and one of the team will get in touch to arrange an interview. If you prefer, you can email your CV to email@example.com.
N.B. We always handle your Personal Information in confidence - we will not share your application with any third party, nor will we
contact your existing employer at this initial stage of the application. This page is protected with a secure URL and 256-bit encryption.