If you’re a young person aged between 16 and 21, you can save money using Newport Bus for your transport needs.

From May 1st, 2019, you can request our Youth Passport Card or the Welsh Government’s mytravelpass (MTP) to benefit from discounted young person fares. If you don’t show one of these cards, you won’t be entitled to the discount and will have to pay the adult fare. Check the table below to see the savings you are entitled to:


Here how Newport Bus Youth Passport works:

If you are aged between 16 and 21 and already have a Bamboo or Passport card, you will need to switch your current card to the Youth Passport Card. If you are under 16, you can continue using your Bamboo card as normal until your 16th birthday.

You can still pay for paper tickets when boarding the bus, however you’ll need a Youth Passport card or a mytravelpass as a proof of your age to access the discounted fare.

With Newport Bus Youth Travel Card, you can load discounted weekly or monthly (4 weeks) travel tickets or a Pay-As-You-Go credit. You just need to top up the card when you need more credit. For information on how to top up your card, read the FAQs below. This does not apply to the Welsh Government MyTravelPass.

To apply for a card, you will need a passport-size photo and a proof of age. You can fill the online form below and your card will be posted to you free of charge unless further details are required. You can also download and complete a paper application form (PDF format) and take it to our Travel Centre in Friars Walk with your passport photo and proof of age (birth certificate, passport, ID card...) or emailing it all to us at

* Required

Attach photo and proof of date of birth (ID)

NOTE: The files MUST have a different name, for example image1.jpg and image2.jpg


Who can use the Youth Passport?

Anyone who uses our services and is between the ages of 16 and 21. The required age has recently been extended from 19 to 21 as part of the Welsh Government Discount Scheme and has been extended to Newport Youth Passport card.

Why do we need the Youth Passport?

Customers who are between the ages of 16 and 21 will need this card, or the Welsh Government MyTravelPass, to receive discounted fares for their bus travel in Wales. To apply for mytravelpass (MTP) visit the Welsh Government's My Travel Pass website.

I already have a Youth Passport what will happen to this?

There are no changes to the card you already hold but you will need to renew your card on your 19th birthday.

I already have a Passport or Passport Plus what will happen to my credit?

Once you have completed the application form and provided both a photo and proof of age your credit can be transferred onto your Youth Passport. You will receive your discounted travel on your next top-up.

Where can I go to transfer my credit?

You can visit our Travel Shop at Newport Bus Station.

What is different about this Youth Passport?

You can now top up this card with travel time (7 Days/4 Weeks/365 Days) and with cash amounts (£1, £3, £5 or multiples) to a maximum of £50.

How do I top up the Youth Passport?

You can top up with 7 days or £20 maximum on a bus. For any other amounts, you will have to visit our Travel Shop in Newport Bus Station.

I am paying with cash on the bus do I still need the pass?

Yes. Please show the driver your Youth Passport or MyTravelPass before tendering your money. The driver can then see you are eligible to a youth fare.

What do I need to provide to get the pass?

Your name, Date of Birth, address, a recent passport-sized photograph and proof of age

Why do I have to provide a photograph?

The photo is essential for bus drivers to verify quickly that you are the cardholder.

When does the Youth Passport Expire?

The Youth Passport and any tickets remaining on your card will expire on your 22nd Birthday.

What can I buy after my 19th Birthday?

On your 22nd birthday, you are eligible to purchase one of our Adult Passport products.

ApplicationForm YouthPassport.pdf